Monday, November 17, 2008

Everybody loves Kung Fu Fighting


This week was yet another special event night (we've been having a lot of these lately). It was a family oriented night that not only involved the youth group but also parents and their children as well. We transformed the New Life Sanctuary into a the New Life Theater for the viewing of "Kung Fu Panda". It was a cute movie, and generally the youth leaders were their just for crowd control, or so we were told. I'm not quite sure what to think of that. I am kind of struggling with how much events and entertainment we pack into these youth nights, because I am finding it really hard to try to get to know these kids through that. I mean sure it creates fun environments to grow relationships through that, but I feel the lack of "actually getting to sit down and talk" times. Events are great at feeding relationships but if thats all there is then there is a certain level of deepness missing. The relationships end up a little shallow, and superficial in a sense. Often I find the best moments in the youth nights are the 15 minute connect groups we have, but a lot of the time unless its a regular youth night these special times are put a side. Its difficult and stressful trying to utilize the short beginning and end of the night times in getting to know kids, and I'm finding more and more that as each week passes, these are all the times I've got. I could use prayer on this, I'm not really sure what to do. I am excited for our next regular youth night, I guess thats all I can really say for now.

No comments: